Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cranberry Thanksgiving/FIAR


Monday: Social Studies (nicknames, New England, cranberries)

We talked about nicknames and why people have them. We also talked about all the nickname in our family


We did some study about cranberries. Where they grow, how they're harvested, and what we use them for. He had a snack of cranberries and nuts this day. He's not fond of cranberries. ; ) 
There are several really good videos on YouTube about the harvesting of cranberries. 
We also studied New England. This was my favorite part of the study. I learned so much and even decided I want to move there! 

Tuesday: Language (similes, onomatopoeia, and repetition) 


So neat for the student to learn about these literary devices and see them by example in a book their ready

The Repetition Flap book we also copied from homeschool share.


This picture goes along with our study on Monday but i can't figure out how to move my pictures around in iPhoto, so it's in the wrong place. ; )
But in this photo he's making a book about New England. He learned all the 6 states that make up New England. He still remembers them. We also learned that maple syrup is one of the things that New England is known for. We watched some great videos on youtube about the harvesting of maple! 



Wednesday: Science (Seasons and Leavening agents and maple syrup)





The picture is in the wrong season. Joseph has to help them find their way to the right season.

This picture is supposed to be with Social studies too. All the things New England is known for. We got the free printables from this site


We did a cool experiment on leavening agents and chemical reactions. We mixed, baking soda with buttermilk (just like a cake) and we watched the bubbles form and the two ingredients react to one another by rising up out of the bowl. He loved this experiment. I didn't get any more pictures cause my battery died....as always. Can you see my reflection in the window. ; )) 

 Thursday: Social Studies (Thanksgiving, Pilgrims, Mayflower) 


These are hats from last year. When I got them out it was like a new toy. Joseph just loved wearing this hat. Cayden like his for a few mins.

My two little turkies

 This is from the Draw Write Now series. Vol 2



We also did a precious History Pocket called Life in Plymoth Colony by Evan Moor Publishers which we absolutely love. I waited all week to publish this post thinking I'd get some pictures of our History Pocket but I didn't. So a post without is better than no post at all, right? 

Helpful Links:


Love
Amber

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up your post!!! I'm really hoping our list grows and will help other moms.

    I've created a little linky graphic that will help others find the link up list. I haven't finished adding it to all the posts yet, but you can find the coding on my Lentil post. (no obligation--just wanted to share)

    You have a beautiful family and I've enjoyed reading your row.

    Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete